a message from the blogger

I'm still trying to update Touille's blog so that there are no more dead links or links to sites that are not secure. I've had to delete a few posts which made no sense anymore. Touille is always on my mind as I update and read old posts.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Rodents' Talk Isn't Just 'Cheep'  (animal language)

Imagine a device that would let you "talk" with your dog or cat. One that could help you ask a cow a question or converse with a dolphin.
Two Arizona scientists say computers may someday bridge the language gap between humans and other animals. 

"You could have this little thing hooked to your belt and you could speak and it could be translated into animal language," says John Placer, a computer scientist at Northern Arizona University.
It sounds like pure science fiction, and at this point it still is.

I am sure that this theoretical device will not be available during my lifetime, but perhaps there is hope for the future communication between humans and other creatures.

[2019 UPDATE: The original link to the article could not be found, but here is a much more recent article about the research on prairie dog language.]

- Touille, a dog who tries to communicate with the human species as well as she can, but who is frequently baffled by the process

2 comments:

Presley Bennett said...

I would love to be able to communicate with my two dogs who just got into a fight over who knows what (neither one is talking) and scared me half to death. There is a minor injury to one, we may need to go to the emergency room (again).

MB said...

Saije, we dogs sometimes do not heed each other's unspoken language as well as we should, and when that happens, someone can get hurt.

- Touille

Touille herself, though usually well-behaved, sometimes has been known to snarl viciously at a child or at another dog. I hope your dogs are okay now.

MB